- Cushioned backrest and padded seat
- Includes handbrakes
- Built-in seat storage basket
- Foldable design
- Sturdy 7.5-inch wheels
- Two-tier handles to grasp whether sitting or standing
- Adjustable height
- Can double as toilet safety frame or shower chair
Walkers are a fantastic mobility tool to help elderly adults retain some mobility, while also providing support and safety.
A good walker can be a key component in keeping an elderly senior mobile and active, also boosting their confidence and independence when they feel they can still get out and get around on their own!
In this guide, we’ll detail some of the key factors to consider when choosing a walker with a built-in seat for a senior, as well as review some of the very best walkers with seats for elderly seniors!
Benefits of Walkers With Seats
A senior’s lack of stability or fear of falling can be detrimental, as a senior who is afraid to go on walks or get outdoors will spend much more time sedentary.
It has been shown over time that sitting for extended periods of time can lead to serious health problems such as heart disease, obesity, diabetes, or arthritis among others.
This is where a walker comes in!
Walkers encourage a senior to get out and about without putting them at undue risk for a fall. Walkers with seats are even more preferable for some seniors than a traditional walker, as the seated versions allow for easy sitting and resting when needed.
Walkers with seats feature a seat on the front part of the walker’s base.
Seniors find this very beneficial as it provides them with an opportunity to stop and rest when desired; while ensuring they maintain their independence to continue walking about
Features to Look For in Walkers with Seats
There are a number of features any senior should be looking for when it comes to walkers.
- Sturdy Construction. A walker with seat should be more substantial than a standard walker, as the seat and requirement of supporting a senior’s seated position means extra weight. Make sure that your desired walker is sturdy and well-built!
- Wheels Type and Size. Larger wheels on a rolling walker make it easier for seniors to maneuver their walker over difficult terrain, such as grass or carpet. Smaller wheels are often fine for indoor use, but if a senior plans on using the walker outdoors on different terrain, opt for bigger, more durable wheels. In some cases, seniors may want to opt for walker glides over wheels, depending on where they’ll be using the walker most.
- Height Adjustability. Height adjustments are great as they allow the user to customize their rolling walker experience based on their height and comfort level. Look for a walker with enough height options available to suit your senior’s needs!
- Basket to store items. A basket or bag at the front of a walker is very helpful as it allows seniors to store items without worrying about them falling out or being lost. This also prevents seniors from having to carry standalone bags with them, which can become tiring.
- Foldable frame to make storage easy. Seniors will appreciate a walker with a foldable frame so that it can be easily stored away when not in use. This makes the walker much easier to store and takes up less space, which is key for seniors who live in smaller homes or apartments! Compact walkers can also fit easily into a car trunk or the back seat of a vehicle.
- Ergonomic, Adjustable Handles. Seniors may have arthritis or other conditions that make holding traditional walker handles uncomfortable. Make sure that your desired walker has comfortable, ergonomic hand grips to ensure maximum user comfort!
- Weight Capacity. The walker’s weight capacity is the amount of weight it can hold before it becomes unsafe for use. Make sure that your desired walker can hold more than enough weight at all times!
- Padded Seat. A padded seat is very beneficial for seniors, as it provides comfort and adds extra padding. Just keep in mind that a more padded seat may end up being heavier than a walker with just a thin, basic seat.
- Back Rest. A walker with a backrest is often much more comfortable for seniors, as many struggle with maintaining enough core strength to sit comfortably without the aid of a backrest. However, depending on your senior’s needs, they may find that the benefits of having a backrest are not worth the extra weight or bulkiness.
- Assembly. Look for models that are easy to assemble or boast tool-free assembly, as this saves seniors time and energy spent putting their walker together.
- Product Weight. The weight of a walker can be tricky. On one hand, heavier walkers tend to provide more stability and better comfort. However, this makes them more challenging to move around – especially if a senior will be loading the walker in and out of a vehicle themselves. Consider how the senior will be using the seat walker when deciding whether or not a lighter or heavier weight model is best.
Best Walkers With Seats for Seniors
Below we’ll dive into our list of the best walkers with seats for seniors. If you’re not dead set on getting a walker with a seat, make sure to check out our full list of all the best walkers and rollators for seniors, with even more options!
1. Best Value Pick: Drive Medical 4-Wheel Rollator With Seat
The Drive Medical 4-Wheel Rollator Walker With Seat provides a great way to get around that provides sitting support when you need it most.
Designed for elderly seniors who like to be out and about, this rolling walker is perfect if you’re looking for something more than just a basic rollator. The four 7.5-inch wheels are great for stability on any surface – whether for indoor or outdoor use!
This seated walked includes a built-in padded seat with a padded backrest in addition to adjustable ergonomic handles which can change heights, promising a customized, comfortable fit.
This sturdy rollator walker also features deluxe loop locks for safety, non-marking wheels, and a convenient seat storage pouch for keeping hold of personal belongings.
We also love the value of this rollator — usually, walkers cost more when they have a rollator design and a padded seat, but this option from Drive Medical is super affordable!
It’s remarkably easy to store this walker – just fold it up and put it in the closet when it’s not needed.
- Reasonably priced
- Four 7.5″ wheels provide stability outdoors and indoors
- Adjustable handles, backrest, and storage bag included
- Some find the storage bag to be too shallow to be very useful
- At around 18lbs it may be too heavy for a senior to lift in and out of a car on their own (although few seated walkers are much lighter)
- Handle Height: 31 – 37 inches (adjustable)
- Seat Dimensions: 12″ (L) x 12″ (W)
- Weight Capacity: 300 pounds
- Product Weight: 18.6 Pounds
2. Best Euro-Style: Drive Medical Nitro 4-Wheel Rollator Walker
The Drive Medical Nitro Euro-Style 4-Wheel Rollator Walker is an easy-to-use European-style rollator walker that can be collapsed for convenient storage.
This rollator walker comes with a comfortable seat and handle height adjustment, large front 10-inch wheels for a larger turning radius, and a zippered bag to store personal items.
Even without a threshold ramp, we image this rolling walker can easily traverse over door sills without issue.
With a 300 lb weight capacity, this heavy-duty rollator will provide the support you need while walking!
The Drive Medical Nitro Walker features a lightweight aluminum frame with a built-in hand brake cable for extra safety and protection.
The back support height easily adjusts with a tool-free thumb screw so you can find your perfect fit or change it out when needed. Easily fold up the unit by pulling the seat grip up and bring the side handles together to easily collapse and store it away!
- Overall dimensions: 27.75″(L) x 23″(W) x 33.5″(H)
- Seat dimensions: 10″(D) x 18″(W) x 20.5″(H)
- Product Weight: 17.5 Pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Fans report the seat is very comfortable
- Users say they were able to use across pavement, dirt, grass, cobblestones, and bricks, without issues
- Customers report difficulty getting the manufacturer to honor the warranty
3. Best 360 Wheels: OasisSpace Rollator Walker with Seat
OasisSpace Lightweight Rollator Walker with Seat is another great walker for seniors, with a solid built-in seat. It’s an upright walker, which some seniors prefer and find more comfortable over a traditional walker.
With its padded armrests that reduce shoulder and back tension, plus a breathable mesh seat with a supportive backrest, it’s truly designed for comfort
The walker’s solid PVC 10-inch wheels and 360° swivel front wheels allow it to function well on a variety of terrain, both indoors and outdoors.
The rollator also includes a detachable polyester storage bag, allowing you to store anything you might need to enjoy a comfortable stroll.
And because it’s lightweight, collapsible, and has ergonomic hand brakes, even people with limited mobility should be able to use this rollator without issues.
- Overall dimensions: 32″(L) x 24″(W) x 45-52″(H)
- Seat dimensions: 18″(L) x 10″(D) x 21″(H)
- Product Weight: 26 Pounds
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Collapsed Dimensions: 32″(L) x 12″(W) x 45-52″(H)
- Ideal for 5-6ft people
- Provides a smooth ride for indoor and outdoor terrain
- Includes bonuses like an arm rest and back support
- On the pricier side
4. Most Compact: Able Life Space Saver Walker
Able Life Space Saver Walker is an ultra-compact walker that boasts the ability to fold 4x smaller than average rollators!
With its collapsible design, it can collapse like an umbrella or stroller with the touch of a finger, making it perfect for storing in a car trunk or small closet. The walker has an ultra-lightweight design, weighing just 8 pounds, making it easy to carry around everywhere you go. Despite the light weight, it supports up to 400 pounds!
Seniors will also appreciate that this walker’s padded handles can have their height adjusted from 32 to 38 inches from the floor, making it compatible with seniors who range from 5’6″ to 6’3″ tall.
The Able Life Space Saver has fixed front 6-inch wheels along with rear easy-glide skis in the back that provide smooth mobility for getting around. The walker also includes a front organizer pouch for keeping your essentials like a phone, keys, and wallet within reach.
The walker’s compact 24 x 24 inch footprint allows seniors to maneuver through tight hallways and bathrooms, making it perfect for indoors.
- Overall dimensions: 24″ x 24″ x 32-38″
- Product Weight: 8 lbs
- Weight Capacity: 400 lbs
- Ultra-compact and light-weight design
- Very easy to fold with minimal footprint
- Great for navigating narrow areas indoors
- Comes pre-assembled out of the box
- Not the most stable option for outdoors, especially on rougher terrain
5. Best for Multi-Use: Health Line 4-in-1 Walker with Detachable Seat
The Health Line 4 in 1 Stand-Assist Folding Walker with Detachable Seat is a multi-purpose walker that can double as a variety of other senior tools.
This walker is especially unique in that it has double handles at two different levels, allowing the user to have handles they can grip in both a seated and standing position.
This allows the senior to gradually move from the lower handles to the higher ones, and also allows the walker to double as a toilet safety frame or even a shower seat (as well as a standard portable seat).
This walker’s sturdy blue aluminum frame makes it easy for users to get around without worrying about weight restrictions, as it supports up to 350 pounds while remaining lightweight.
The walker folds easily with a trigger-release mechanism, letting the user close the walker while keeping their hands on the handle. Speaking of handles, the device’s soft foam padded handlebars provide great comfort for sore hands.
The walker also features adjustable legs, with eight height settings to accommodate users of various sizes, with the ability to be adjusted from 31.9 inches to 39 inches (adjusting the legs, in turn, adjusts the seat height as well).
This walker includes a set of ski glides to further reduce ground friction, resulting in a silky smooth ride indoors.
- Overall dimensions: 20.9″ (L) x 22.8″ (W) x 20.9-28″ (H)
- Product Weight: 8 lbs
- Weight Capacity: 400 lbs
- Bright, fun blue color
- Dual level handles allow this walker to be multi-functional
- Adjustable legs
- No info on wheel size, but some users report that the wheels feel cheap
- Wheels are not large or stable enough for most oudoor terrain – best for indoors only
6. Best XL Seat: OasisSpace Pneumatic Armrest Walker
If you are looking for a high-quality rolling walker that provides fantastic stability, durability, and mobility, then look no further than the OasisSpace Pneumatic Armrest Walker!
This walker is unique in that it boasts large 12″ front pneumatic tires, along with 8-inch wheels for the rear tires, which provide an excellent ride no matter what terrain they encounter. The inflatable wheels even have shock absorption for an ultra-smooth ride.
This walker also prides itself on its wide seat, measuring in at 17.7″ x 9.8″ which is wider than most walker seats.
This model also has locking hand breaks that can be squeezed to control the speed which makes it safe even when going downhill!
Even with all those features and the extra-wide seat, this walker weighs in at 25lbs – heavier than some others, but not unmanageable by any means. Like other walkers, it can easily be collapsed for transport.
- Large 12″ front pneumatic tires
- Sturdy enough for a variety of outdoor terrain
- Wide seat
- Pricier than some other options
7. Best with Two-Wheels: Drive Medical Two-Wheeled Walker with Seat
The Drive Medical Two Wheeled Walker with Seat is a great lightweight walker with two wheels. It has a comfy padded seat and backrest, with the ability to fold easily for transportation or when not in use.
The legs are designed with leg tips that can act as brakes when pressed down, and the height of the handles is adjustable. There are large swivel wheels to provide easy maneuverability, although it’s likely best suited for indoor use or very smooth surfaces outdoors.
- Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
- Weight: 12 lbs
- Fairly affordable
- Less maneuverability than with a four-wheel walker
8. Another Favorite: HealthSmart Walker Rollator
The HealthSmart Walker Rollator is another solid seated walker model, and it has many features that make it a fan favorite. This walker rollator includes a durable aluminum frame that can be easily folded for storage or transport, along with an easy-to-assemble design that doesn’t require the use of any tools.
The device features front rubber 8-inch wheels and 7-inch rear wheels for solid stability. While it likely can’t handle rough outdoor surfaces smoothly, it should manage indoor surfaces and smooth outdoor surfaces like paved sidewalks just fine.
This seated rollator has adjustable handles that can be adjusted between 31″ – 36″ in 1″ increments, along with bicycle-style loop-lock handbreaks.
- Folded Dimensions: 25 x 16.5 x 11.25 inches
- Width Between Handles: 18-inches
- Seat Height: 21-inches from floor
- Seat Size: 18″ x 10″
- Lightweight design for increased portability
- Basic seat lacks cushioning, may not be comfortable enough for some
These wheeled walkers with seats are great for seniors who want to maintain their independence but need a little help getting around. We hope that this article has helped you narrow down your options and find the perfect walker for someone in your life!
FAQs About Walkers With Seats for Elderly Seniors
What are the top 3 considerations for choosing a walker with a seat?
In order to choose the best walker with a seat, you need to make sure it is stable, durable, and comfortable. Your personal preferences on how much space it takes up may be another consideration.
How can I make my current walker more stable?
You may want to try replacing the front two wheels with bigger ones. This will provide more stability and require less effort to push the walker in a straight line.
How can I make my walker more comfortable?
If you want to switch up to a more comfortable walker, look for a model with a soft padded seat, a backrest, as well as padding on the handles.
Can I accommodate a walker with a seat in my car?
Usually, yes. Many of the walkers listed here fold up easily and should fit well in the trunk of a car or in the back seat.
Does Medicare cover walkers with seats?
Yes, Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) covers walkers and rollators, as they are considered durable medical equipment (DME). However, the walker must be considered medically necessary. Medicare won’t cover power wheelchairs that are only needed for use outside the home.
The coverage also only applies if both your doctor and the medical equipment supplier are enrolled in Medicare – otherwise the claim won’t be covered.
The best walkers with seats for elderly people are stable, durable, and comfortable. However, there are many other factors to consider, and it’s up to the individual to weigh the pros and cons. Is a cushy, padded seat worth the additional weight? Or is keeping the walker as light as possible the most important consideration?
Did we miss any of your favorite walkers with seats for the elderly? Share your top picks in the comments!
Last update on 2022-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API