Waterproof mattress pads or protectors are a long term solution to incontinence, with many pads lasting upwards of 10 years. But which is the right mattress pad for you?
From breathability to comfort to absorbency, there is much to consider when selecting a mattress pad to suit your needs. Continue reading to find out what to look for in an incontinence mattress pad as well as our top picks for the best waterproof mattress pad for incontinence.
Why Use a Waterproof Mattress Pad?
- Reduce Mattress Damage. Mattresses are expensive, and just one accident can ruin a mattress forever. Waterproof mattress pads can keep your mattress fresh and clean for years, even if you or a loved one lives with incontinence.
- Dry Sleep. Waterproof mattress pads provide absorbency as well as moisture protection, ensuring your sleeping environment remains dry. Some pads are even capable of holding up to 6 cups of fluid. Sleeping on a wet mattress isn’t only uncomfortable; it’s near impossible. Use a waterproof mattress pad to protect your sleep as well as your mattress.
- Bacteria. Waterproof mattress pads also protect against bacteria, which can degrade fabric and lead to odors and stains.
Best Waterproof Mattress Pads Available Online
Best FDA Cleared Waterproof Mattress Pad
- Protects Against Dust Mites, Fluids, Urine, Perspiration, Allergens And Bacteria (10-Year Warranty)
- Hypoallergenic Cotton Terry Surface With Membrane Back Coating (Waterproof, Noiseless and Breathable)
- Great For Those With Kids, Pets, Allergies, Asthma, Eczema Or Incontinence (OEKO-TEX Certified SH025 151792)
- Will Not Change The Feel of Your Mattress (Registered with the FDA as a Class 1 Medical Device)
About: The SafeRest Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector comes with a hypoallergenic cotton terry surface and membrane back coating that’s breathable, noiseless, and waterproof. It protects against perspiration, fluids, and urine, as well as dust mites, allergens, and bacteria.
SafeRest is registered with the FDA as a Class 1 Medical Device and is designed not to change the feel of your mattress. It’s a fitted sheet style design that’s available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King. SafeRest offers a 10-year warranty on mattress pads.
What Users Say: Customers were happy with this mattress pad’s absorbency as well as its affordable price. One customer even questioned the validity of the few low star reviews, as the mattress protector they had received was exactly as described online , and worked perfectly for their needs.
Best Soft Waterproof Mattress Pad
- MAXIMUM SOFTNESS AND COMFORT MATTRESS PAD - The Quilted Fitted Mattress Pad is made with over 30oz hollow cotton alternative fillings that fluffs incredibly to give you a cozy feel and most relaxing...
- PREMIUM FITTED MATTRESS COVER - Full Size Quilted Mattress Pad (54 " x 75 "). Stretchable knitted skirt design ensures a secure fit for mattress depths 6"-14" and gives protection for the top and...
- BREATHABLE BED COVER - Filled with hollow cotton alternative fill, a state-of-the-art fiberfill that has the feel of authentic goose and duck down without the feathers, poking, or allergies, the...
- 100% WATERPROOF QUILTED MATTRESS TOPPER - The Safe and Sound Comfort Mattress cover has a waterproof liner on all the way down to the skirt, it could protect your mattress and pillows from sweat,...
About: The Safe and Sound Quilted Fitted Mattress Pad is made with over 30 oz hollow cotton alternative fillings for a cozy feel while not changing the firmness of your mattress. Made with Vinyl-free materials, the mattress pad is 100% waterproof, protecting against stains while preventing exposure to dust.
The waterproof liner goes all the way down to the skirt to protect your mattress and pillows from sweat, bedwetting, and other accidents. It is machine washable with your sheets using normal household detergents and tumble dry.
It’s available in sizes for Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King beds. Safe and Sound offers a 90-day money back guarantee and a 10-year warranty on mattress pads.
What Users Say: Customers like the soft feel of this mattress cover and the added comfort it provides their mattress while being completely waterproof. It was noted that the mattress cover may make a small amount of noise, but that any sound was very minimal.
Best Noiseless Waterproof Mattress Pad
About: The PlushDeluxe Premium Bamboo Mattress Protector is an ultra-soft waterproof mattress cover that protects against dirt, dust mites, liquid spills, as well as normal wear and tear. It’s made from natural bamboo fabric free from PVC, phthalate, and vinyl for a soft and breathable membrane that wicks away moisture and regulates heat. The mattress pad is completely silent and produces no crinkling sound during the night for a quiet sleep. The elastic skirt fits snugly on mattresses that are up to 18 inches thick.
The mattress pad is available in sizes for Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King beds as well as two sizes for Crib and Mini Crib. PlushDeluxe offers a 10-year warranty on their mattress pads.
What Users Say: Customers like the fit of the PlushDeluxe mattress cover, claiming it makes no noise at all. Users found the mattress lived up to its 100% waterproof claim after trying other brands that didn’t quite work for adult bed wetting.
Longest Warranty Waterproof Mattress Pad
- Protects against allergens, dust mites, bacteria, perspiration, urine and fluids (15-Year Warranty)
- 100% waterproof membrane with fitted sheet style design - King Size (76" x 80" fits up to 18" deep)
- Luna Airflow Technology allows air to circulate through the protector, but repels liquids
- Hypoallergenic cotton terry surface is noiseless, will not change the feel of your mattress and naturally absorbs moisture
About: Luna Premium Hypoallergenic Waterproof Mattress Protector protects against allergens, dust mites, bacteria, perspiration, urine, and fluids. The mattress pad is made from natural cotton terry and is 100% waterproof.
It has a phthalate, vinyl, & PVC free breathable membrane as well as Waterproof Airflow Technology that allows air to circulate through the protector. Whether firm or soft, your mattress will keep the same feel after the mattress pad is added on top.
Luna mattress pads are available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King. They offer a 15-year warranty, which is higher than many other mattress pad brands.
What Users Say: Customers say the Luna mattress pad is well worth the investment and are happy that the product is made in the USA.
Choosing the best waterproof mattress pad for incontinence means considering a number of factors, as well as personal preference. Everyone’s needs are different, so it’s possible you will need to try out a few different brands before you find your ideal selection. Once you do, you can look forward to comfortable, dry sleeps for years to come.
Mattress Protector Pad vs Bed Underpad: What’s Better?
When it comes to adult incontinence, there is a variety of products available to keep individuals comfortable and dry while protecting your bed. The terminology can be difficult to distinguish, but basically there are three main options for dealing with nightly incontinence:
- Mattress Pads. Waterproof pads that completely cover a mattress, protecting the mattress from stains and spills. Mattress pads can be a nuisance to take on and off a bed each day, and usually require multiple rounds in the dryer to completely dry, so they’re generally best for individuals with just occasional incontinence.
- Disposable Bed Pads. Disposable bed pads are cheap, one-off absorbent pads that are place directly beneath the incontinent individual. They usually feature a soft top layer that comfortable absorbs accidents and a plastic back side that protects the bed. These bed pads may have some kind of adhesive to keep the pad in place.
- Washable Bed Pads. Washable, reusable bed pads work similar to the disposable ones, but are designed to be washed and reused multiple times. They’re more expensive that disposable pads, but also more heavy duty and usually use a non-skid surface or elastic to stay in place, rather than adhesive.
If you’re dealing with continuous, ongoing bed wetting, a combination of a mattress pad + a disposable or washable bed pad is your best bet. However, if the incontinence is occasional and not frequent, a waterproof incontinence mattress pad may be all you need.
What Makes a Good Waterproof Mattress Pad
An elasticized skirt will keep your waterproof mattress pad from moving around in the night. A secure fit also makes it easier to add and remove the pad when it’s time to do the laundry.
Elastic anchor bands are also a suitable alternative to an elasticized skirt, and do make for quicker bed changing. If the individual doesn’t move much in the night, elastic bands may be all you need. But if there is a lot of moving and turning in the night, a skirt is probably best.
Just because you need to sleep with a mattress pad doesn’t mean your bed should be uncomfortable to lie in. Look for brands that emphasize comfort when selecting a mattress pad. Most mattress pads should not change the feel of your mattress at all, so examine customer reviews closely before making your purchase.
Waterproof mattress pads are often made with either vinyl or polyurethane laminate.
- Vinyl: Vinyl keeps liquid from leaking through to your mattress, but the material does not breathe, so if you’re a warm sleeper, you’ll be in for a hot night. That being said, vinyl is the less expensive option.
- Polyurethane: Mattress pads made with polyurethane are often thought to be more comfortable, as the material is much more breathable than vinyl. Polyurethane doesn’t trap your body heat, making for a much cooler sleeping environment.
A mattress pad should be as quiet as possible so that it does not disturb the person sleeping on it in the night. Some materials may be noisier than others. See what reviewers have to say about it even if the mattress pad claims it is noise-free.
The absorption capabilities of a waterproof mattress pad should be top of mind when making your selection. The ideal mattress pad will absorb liquid effectively and as quickly as possible. Always read the product descriptions and customer reviews carefully before making a purchase.
What waterproof mattress pad do you use? How does that product meet your specific needs? Share your experiences in the comments.
Last update on 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API