It can be difficult to find a suitable bra that fits well as we age.
Our breast shape changes and the skin on our back begins to loosen, making finding a good fit tricky. Plus, limited mobility makes clipping on a traditional bra nearly impossible (heck, some of us can barely manage the task when we’re young).
Front closure bras and racerback bras are a great solution! They tend to offer a better fit and are much easier to clip on than a standard bra.
In this article, we’ll go into more detail about why front closure bras are best for seniors and recommend some of the best front-closure bras available.
Why Do Senior Women Need a Front-Close Bra?
Older women tend to prefer a front-closure bra because they are easier to manage and fasten for someone with arthritis or decreased mobility.
Reaching all the way high behind your back and clipping together small clasps that you can’t even see is a pretty tall order for most seniors – especially for those with limited dexterity!
While front closure bras are certainly a popular option for seniors, they aren’t the only bra type that can benefit an older individual.
Popular styles include:
- Front-Closure Single Clip. Front closure single-clip bras are an ideal option for seniors, as the user can see exactly what they’re doing with the clip right at chest level. However, clips can vary in complexity and design, so make sure you choose one that clips smoothly and easily, and doesn’t chafe against the skin.
- Front-Closure Hook and Eye. Many front-closure bras feature a hook and eye design, with several stacked clips that must be threaded one after the other. While this style provides good support and sturdy closure, some seniors may still struggle with this style since it requires a certain level of hand dexterity. Plus, bras often will have 3-6 of these hook and eye closures, which could make putting on even this kind of front-clip bra a headache.
- Elastic Over-The-Head Sports Bra. Over-the-head bras are another option, with sports bras being a particularly common selection. Sports bras tend to be very comfortable, with stretchy materials, wide straps, and high backs. However, not all seniors will be able to pull down a bra over their head, depending on their mobility level.
- Step-In Stretch Bra. While step-in bras are not as common, they may be the easiest option for many seniors. The motion of pulling up a bra over one’s body can be easier and require less strength and dexterity than pulling one down. However, it does pose a bit of a fall risk, so one must weigh the pros and cons.
Features to Consider When Bra Shopping for the Elderly
When shopping for a bra, you’ll want to consider these factors in particular for seniors:
- Support. The amount of support an individual requires can depend a lot on her breast size. Seniors with larger breasts may need to make support a priority, while those with smaller breasts will probably be perfectly fine managing with a solid sports bra.
- Strap Size. Traditional bras tend to feature narrow straps that aren’t as likely to show with a sleeveless shirt. However, most seniors opt for half-sleeve or long-sleeved shirts, in which case a wider strap is the better choice. Wider straps are less likely to slip and tend to be more comfortable, all while providing more support.
- Adjustability. Many traditionally styled bras are adjustable, with a tab in the back that can be slid up or down, altering the tightness of the shoulder strap. However, older individuals with sensitive skin can easily get annoyed by the chafing and rubbing of the tab. While some seniors may prefer the adjustable option, most will likely want a non-adjustable design. However, this means you’ll need to be particularly careful when selecting a size, so make sure to double check the user’s measurements!
- Comfort. Comfort tends to be an even more factor in choosing a bra for elderly individuals than it is for other wearers. Seniors aren’t interested in spending their entire day feeling like a can of sardines! Opt for bras that have some elastic stretch and give, along with wide straps and a high neck for the most comfort.
- Sizing. Some bras will come in many different sizes, while others will only offer a few. Consider if your breast size is on the larger or smaller end, and ensure you’re choosing bras that offer sizing options that will work for you.
- Return Policy. Finding the perfect bra for a senior that’s easy for the wearer to clip (which can be different based on dexterity), fits well, is comfortable, doesn’t irritate any areas of skin, and provides enough support can require some effort. You may need to order several bras to try out and return the ones that don’t work out. When it comes down to it, testing with trial and error is the best way to find the perfect bra for any elderly senior!
Best Front Closure Bras for Elderly Seniors (Along With Other Options)
1. Women’s Front Closure Cotton Bra by Fruit of the Loom
About: This best-selling Fruit of the Loom Front Closure Bra is a great, affordable pick for any senior. The bra’s cotton material and full coverage provide great support with a classic scoop neckline, even without an underwire. This bra is comfortable, padded, and features six hook and eye clasps at the front of the garment.
- Big emphasis on comfort
- May not provide enough support for large-breasted women
- Some report this bra runs slightly small, so you may need to order a size up
2. Women’s Front Closure Zip Sports Bra
About: This Women’s Front Zipper Sports Bra offers a soft, comfortable bra that opts for a zipper in the front instead of hook and eye clasps.
The bra is made from a polyamide and spandex blend, offering an elastic and breathable fit that’s light and won’t chafe.
This sports bra also features removable bra pads on the inside of the cup that can be adjusted or removed as needed.
Plus, the bras come in packs of two or three, so you can get a couple of different colors!
- Unique front zipper than eliminates the dexterity issues of hook-and-eye clasps
- Comes in packs of three
Some may find the zipper closure irritating
3. Fruit of the Loom Front Close Racerback
About: This Fruit of the Loom Front Closure Racerback Bra is made with a 2-ply stretch design that provides freedom of movement along with sturdy support for any manner of sports or activities!
The hook and eye closure assure a secure fit, and the front closure design means you won’t be stuck struggling to reach behind your back.
These bras come in two packs for a better value deal.
- Racerback design can result in better poster and reduce strap slipping
- Stretchy material great for sports or activities
- Includes eight hook-and-eye closures, which may be an irritating number to have to deal with
4. Bali Women’s Comfort Revolution Front-Close Shaping Underwire Bra
About: The Bali’s Front-Closure Underwire Bra offers a more traditional and supportive bra with a handy front-clip closure along with a supportive underwire.
This bra contains subtle cups that provide some extra lift and support while staying comfortable.
- Ideal for those who don’t like the elastic feel of sports bras and need extra support
- Many appreciate the sturdy quality of the clasp
- Should be hand washed only
- Not all seniors will want an underwire
5. Playtex Women’s 18 Hour Front-Close Wirefree Bra
About: This Playtex 18 Hour Front-Close Bra features an elegant, traditional style that some seniors might be more familiar with. The bra offers additional support via high sides and a taller back, along with wide straps for more comfort and stability.
The straps are specifically designed to avoid slipping, with criss-cross style flexible elastic backings that can be adjusted for an ideal fit, whatever your body type.
And of course, the front-closure design means even those who struggle with arm flexibility can hook this bra via the hook and eye clasps.
- High sides and high back for more coverage and support
- Thick, flexible straps
- Criss-cross back straps prevent slipping
- Some find these hook and eye clasps too difficult to hook together
- Not all will like the more pointed breast shape design
6. Glamorise Women’s Plus Size Front-Close Wonderwire
About: The Glamorise Front-Closure Wonderwire is a great front-close bra for plus-size wearers. It features an easily accessible front snap closure along with a padded underwire with an extra layer of cushion to prevent uncomfortable wires from poking sensitive skin.
The back design relies on smooth, high back straps with a stretchy fit for added comfort. And yes, the straps can be adjusted for the perfect fit.
- Great option for plus-size seniors
- Handwash only
- Underwire may not be idea for some
- Some struggled to unhook the clasp, and it can be harder to undo with more pressure against it
7. MIRITY Women Racerback Sports Bra
About: The Mirity Racerback Bra is a supportive racerback sports bra that boasts ventilation panels and body-wicking fabrics to keep your skin cool and comfortable.
The bra’s wide shoulder straps allow for even more comfort in addition to the elasticated hem.
While this bra relies on a pull-on closure rather than a front-clip setup, the elastic design may make this bra easy enough for seniors to put on comfortably, provided they have a certain level of mobility.
The bras come in several different packs of three or four, with sizes ranging from small to 3X large.
- Stretchy and comfortable racerback design
- Several pack options with different sizes
- Pull-down design might not work for some, despite the stretchy material
8. Women’s Genie Bra
About: The Womens Genie Bra is a great go-to bra designed to be stepped into and pulled up, which can be a much easier motion for seniors to achieve rather than pulling a bra down over the top of the body.
The fabric is designed to be extra soft while still providing support and comfort, with no seams, wires, hooks, or adjustable straps – just a simple, stretchy, step-in design.
This bra is machine washable for easy cleaning, and comes in a pack of three for great value! Just choose a size between small and 4x, and choose from a pack of white, black, neutral, or multi-color designs.
On top of the support, the seamless design also reduces the risk of bulge, resulting in a smooth and elegant silhouette shape seniors can appreciate.
- Unique step-in design which will be easier for more seniors than a pull-down style
- Ultra-soft and stretchy with no seams, wires, or hooks
- Offers less lift than some other bras
9. Bali Womens One Smooth U Bralette
About: The Bali One Smooth U Bralette is a simple, pull-on bra with a nylon and spandex composition that provides a nice mix of stretch and support.
The bra is designed to have four-way stretch with a seamless design, meaning you won’t have to worry about any seams irritating sensitive senior skin.
This bra also features knit-in siding for smoothing any unseemly side bulges, along with wide straps and a lay-flat band that keeps the wearer comfortable.
- Soft elastic design
- Wide straps
- Knit- in siding to help reduce side bulge
- Pull-down design may be tough for some seniors with limited mobility
- Should be handwashed
10. True & Co Women’s True Body V Neck Bra
Another pull-on, wire-free bra that focuses on comfort, the True & Co V-Neck Bra comes in a unique sleek v-neck front as well as a v-neck backs, allowing for all kinds of layering options.
The bra features ultra-soft microfiber fabric, wide straps, and high sides, and a high-back design. It also features removable pads for a bit of extra cushioning – and it’s machine washable!
- Super soft, stretchy microfiber
- High sides and wide straps
- V-neck style front and back
- Pricier than some of the more budget-focused bra packs
11. LEADING LADY Meryl Cotton Front Closure Leisure Bra
About: The Leading Lady Meryl Front Closure Bra is a wire-free bra is made of 92% cotton and 8% spandex, providing the perfect amount of stretch combined with comfort.
The bra’s wide back prevents it from riding up, while the padded straps prevent any undesirable chafing against the skin.
- Several colors and size options
- Wide back
- Plenty of support while staying wire-free
- Most reported the hook and eye closures fairly easy to manuever
- Handwash only
- Seven hook and eye closures may be too many for some
There’s no denying that front-closure bras are usually the most convenient and easiest option for seniors – especially those with mobility and hand dexterity issues.
Have you used any of the bras listed here? What did you think of them? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API