Are you a senior citizen looking for a relaxing and enjoyable way to travel? Look no further than Amtrak!
With its comfortable and convenient rail service, Amtrak trains offer a wide range of trips for seniors to explore new destinations and create unforgettable memories.
Benefits of Amtrak Train Travel for Seniors
Amtrak offers many benefits that make it the perfect choice for seniors. Here are just a few:
- Comfortable and spacious seating. Amtrak trains boast larger, roomier seats than buses or airplanes, making them ideal for seniors who want to relax and enjoy the journey. It’s quite the step up from the cramped quarters common in economy flying these days!
- Onboard amenities. Amtrak trains come equipped with dining cars, snack bars, lounge areas, free Wi-Fi access, and more–perfect for those who want to stay entertained and well-fed during their trip!
- Convenient access to popular destinations across the US. With Amtrak’s extensive rail network, you can get to just about anywhere in the United States with ease.
- Affordable prices and discounts for seniors. Senior citizens can take advantage of special discounts on Amtrak tickets when they book directly through Amtrak.
- Take in the scenery. What could be better than sitting back and watching the countryside go by while you travel? Rail trips give you the chance to witness some of America’s most breathtaking landscapes up close.
- Avoid the hassle of the airport. With train trips, you don’t have to worry about the lines and the hassle of TSA checkpoints. All you need is your ticket, your bag, and you can hop right on the train without any waiting or stress.
- Minimal walking. Train travel is great for seniors who prefer vacations with minimal walking, making trips easier for seniors who may have mobility issues. And, while it’s always recommended to get out at stops and explore your destination more thoroughly, you can still see plenty of sights and scenery just sitting on board.
- More relaxing than driving. If you’re looking for a truly stress-free way to travel, train rides can’t be beat. With room to stretch out and no need to keep your eyes on the road, senior passengers can sit and rest easy while they take in the sights along their journey.
- Ability to get up and move around. Roomy Amtrak trains offer the ability to get up and move around as needed — perfect for seniors with circulation issues and those who prefer to get up and stretch their legs during the trip.
- Easy to book. Amtrak makes it easy to book your train tour right from their website or by phone.
- Bring small pets. Amtrak allows passengers to bring small pets aboard with them in carriers, so you don’t need to leave your fur baby behind!
Popular Amtrak Train Trips for Seniors
Whether you’re planning a weekend getaway or a cross-country adventure, Amtrak has a variety of train ride routes that offers something for everyone.
Whether you want to visit big cities, small towns, or places you can only see by rail, train travel can take you there.
Amtrak boasts over 30 long-distance and regional routes with 500 destinations that offer seniors the chance to explore some of America’s most exciting cities, historic sites, scenic landscapes, and charming small towns across 46 states.
Some of the most popular Amtrak trips for seniors include:
This scenic route takes you from Los Angeles to Seattle, with breathtaking views of the pacific coast, lush forests, and majestic mountains. Along the way, you’ll stop at iconic destinations like San Francisco and Portland.
This stunning trip takes you from San Luis Obispo to San Diego, with stops at train stations in Santa Barbara and Los Angeles. You’ll get to explore charming beach towns, dine on fresh seafood, and take in the breathtaking California coastline along the way.
This train route takes you from New Orleans to Los Angeles, with stops in between at cities like Houston, San Antonio, Tucson, and Palm Springs. Explore some of America’s most iconic southern cities and take in the country’s picturesque desert landscape.
This route takes you from New York City to Montreal, with stops along the way at Albany and other charming towns in upstate New York. As you tour, you’ll get to experience stunning lake views along this northern rail experience.
Travel from Chicago to Seattle or Portland on this historic city route, which takes you through the heart of America’s Midwest and the rugged beauty of the Pacific Northwest. Don’t miss your chance to see the space needle in person!
Experience the beauty of the American Southwest on this train route, which takes you from Chicago to Los Angeles. You’ll pass through colorful deserts, towering mountains, and charming small towns, with plenty of opportunities to explore the region’s rich history and culture.
Build Your Own Route!
Want to customize your adventure? Amtrak offers a USA Rail Pass and the California Rail Pass which let you hop on and hop off all across train stations at various destinations.
Just pay one single, discounted fare and create your bucket list itinerary!
- California Rail Pass. Hop on/off train stations within California, with 7 days of travel over 21 days.
- USA Rail Pass. Hop on/off the train across 500 destinations, with 10 segments over 30 days.
Amtrak Vacations (for Extended Tours)
Looking to do a longer week-long getaway via train travel? Amtrak Vacations offer great vacation options with package deals that include everything you need.
Amtrak vacations are pricier than standard Amtrak fare routes, since these itineraries are longer and include other additions like rental cars, escorted tours, and hotel stays.
Popular Amtrak vacations include:
- Grand Canyon Rail Tour: Hop aboard a vintage train and explore the Wild West on your way to the iconic Grand Canyon.
- Glacier National Park Tour: Take in the stunning beauty of Glacier National Park and explore one of America’s last wild frontiers by rail.
- Adirondack Adventure: Explore the wonders of New York’s Adirondack Mountains, including Lake Placid and Saratoga Springs.
- New England Coast Vacation: Hop on the Amtrak Downeaster and explore historic seaport towns, charming lighthouses, and quaint seaside villages along New England’s coastal route.
- Rocky Mountains Tour: Get your fill of majestic mountain views and explore world-famous ski resorts on this rail journey from Denver to Salt Lake City.
Getting the Best Deal: How Seniors Can Save on Amtrak Tickets
You can save on Amtrak train tickets when you book your trip in advance and take advantage of discounted fares, especially during off-peak times.
- Discounts for Seniors. Amtrak also offers a 10% senior discount for passengers ages 65 and older — just keep in mind that this discount doesn’t apply to first-class tickets or sleeping accommodations.
- Discounts for the Disabled. Amtrak also offers 10% off rail fares to passengers with a disability. Those traveling the Downeaster route (Boston, MA to Portland, ME) are eligible for a 50% discount. They also offer a 10% discount for companions traveling with a disable passenger.
- Check Amtrak Deals Page. Amtrack will run promotions and discounts on certain routes, so make sure to check their deals page for what’s running at a discount. For example, specific routes may have buy one, get one half off deals or up to 50% off when you book certain train routes early, before the height of the season.
What to Expect for Fare Prices
Amtrak fares can vary a lot depending on your destination, distance, and timing.
Multi-day vacation packages can run anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars to thousands.
- The 5-day Grand Canyon tour with two different destinations is about $950 per person.
- The 10-day Grand National Parks of the Southwest tour, with ten destinations, is almost $3,000 per person.
- The 7-day California Zephyr Rail Experience tour is roughly $700 per person, with two destinations.
But there are cheaper options too.
For example, The USA Rail Pass (where you can hop on and off at various train stations across the US for 30 days) is roughly $500 for a coach ticket. The California Rail Pass is just $159 per adult!
Tips for Planning Your Amtrak Trip
Ready to start planning your Amtrak rail adventure? Here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Book early for better best prices and your choice of seating options. Don’t forget that certain routes can have super deep discounts for early booking. If you aren’t picky about your route, you can get a great deal!
- Planning a multi-day trip? Consider upgrading to a sleeper car! Even if you’re just doing a day trip, booking a private room can serve as quite the upgrade from coach class.
- Pack light. You’ll want to pack pretty lightly on Amtrack, as luggage storage space is limited on the train cars.
With its comfortable and convenient rail service, Amtrak is the perfect choice for seniors looking to explore new destinations and create unforgettable memories.
Have you ever traveled via Amtrak? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments!